Friday, November 4, 2011

Wow, a year in Philadelphia

On October 31st of 2010 I came to Philadelphia, so this Halloween marked my first year in the city of Brotherly Love. Let's take an overview and see what has transpired in that 365 day period.

While I didn't come here to start a band it seems I'm in one. Kinagree Smith was formed last year and it's been a wild ride for sure.

I lived in an abandoned warehouse for six months. It was weird and difficult, but also colorful and ROCK AND ROLL. Definitely part of the Kinagree Smith Legend.

While Living in the warehouse we recorded our Debut CD “Wartzinall”, with a little help from our friends, Noma Falta, Senjata Witt, and Chris Gately.

Lexie and I also were part of the virtual choir on Sean Kagalis'es, “It all belongs”.

My Cartoon Alter Ego (Zorch Boomhauer) had a “Covered” Event in his honor. Covered is a show where other songwriters pay homage to one of their own, by covering the honoree's songs. I also participated in an Event honoring my personal songwriter heroes POL Arida, and Sean Kagalis.

We also had a Video explosion at the ZorchBoom YouTube channel. Lots of Live shows and one funky cool production video.

We've play a bunch of prestigious venues/shows. The Legendary Dobbs, The Rotunda Theater, Grounds for Music fest, The Post Folk Festival festers fest and of course, a long running stint as part of Kenn Kweders's Nuclear Hootenanny.

We've also managed to share the stage with Philly music icons and world class musicians. Kenn Kweder (Kweeeeeeeederrrrr), Larry Saklad, David Rowen, Nicole Sbaffoni, Sharon Little, Jack Mc Tamney, Wayne and John, Jim Dragoni, John Francis and Andy Pratt. I'm probably forgetting a few people, but it's been an amazing year for great live music.

I really feel as if we have become kind of part of a family at Kenn Kweders's Nuclear Hootenanny. Lots of amazing shows, and of course, Kenn.. Da Man.

On a personal note, if I may, I've not always been the most outgoing fellow and frankly I've kind of thought myself socially challenged. But I've made many good and dear friends here in Philadelphia. I use to feel very isolated and I figured it was just something I would have to learn to deal with. But a few of the good people of this city reached out and made me feel good about myself. In the end, isn't that what friends are for?

The inclusion of Ira Norman Segall in my life is very profound. His musical energy really informs my music with great scope and drama. But more then that, he's a true friend, and someone I can speak to in a very unguarded way.

Of course, Lexie Smith has been such an amazing part of my Philadelphia experience. She helped me through some very rough times, and we've made some incredible music together. Lexie's youngest son once asked her, “Is Jack your best friend”? Lexie smiled and answered, “Yes, he's my very best friend”. Lexie, you are my very best friend, and so much more. My life profoundly enriched by you being part of it. Thank you so very much.

To my surrogate family members... you know who you are. Thanks for a great year.

Some suggest the world will end in the year 2012. This is due mostly because that is where the Mayan Calender ends. But it only ends because they predicted the Phoneme that is KINAGREE SMITH.

Expect great things.

Hey, did I mention I met Ed Feldman????

No comments:

Post a Comment